5th April 2016
5th April 2016
Available NOW from Dean & Smedley, Ashby & on-line here at ukphotoprinting.com is the NEW RICOH WG-M2.
A New, High-spec digital action camera, featuring a fully waterproof, shock-resistant body, a 204-degree ultra-wide-angle lens and 4K movie recording
RICOH IMAGING COMPANY, LTD. is pleased to announce the launch of the RICOH WG-M2 high-specification action camera. Within a compact, lightweight body designed to be fully airtight and extremely shock-resistant, this new action camera provides a host of advanced features, including 4K Full HD movie recording using an ultra-wide-angle lens to capture dramatic, lively movie clips.
The RICOH WG-M2 has been developed to be a step up from the RICOH WG-M1 standard-class action camera (launched in October 2014). Along with outstanding performance in demanding scenes — waterproof to a depth of 20 meters, shock-resistant against a fall from a height of two meters, and cold-resistant to temperatures as low as -10°C — it has also become the first RICOH digital camera to feature 4K Full HD movie recording. Coupled with an approximately 204-degree ultra-wide-angle lens, it captures dynamic, high-resolution, high-bit-rate movie clips with an exaggerated perspective. It also comes equipped with a host of new features, including: a vibration function to inform the user of the start and end of a movie recording session by vibrating the camera body; an LCD orientation function* to record movie clips in an upright position regardless of the camera’s orientation (at vertical position or even at upside-down position); seven Image Effect modes to capture movie clips with distinctive visual effects; and an array of movie editing functions such as a still image save mode and a divide movie mode. With a selection of mount accessories to fix the camera on a variety of objects and surfaces, the RICOH WG-M2 optimizes the freedom of action photography, and allows the user to capture various sports and outdoor activities in unprecedented, eye-catching images.
The RICOH WG-M2 sports an extremely durable yet stylish body, and is designed to provide effortless operation even when mounted on such objects as bicycles or motorcycles.
- This function may not be usable in certain shooting modes and/or certain settings.
- High-resolution 4K/30p movie recording with an ultra-wide-angle lens The WG-M2 provides a choice of two shooting angles: Wide mode, with a maximum angle of view of approximately 204 degrees, to capture the magnificence of nature in dynamic images with an exaggerated perspective; and Narrow mode, with an approximately 151-degree angle of view, to record routine subjects with a more natural perspective. In the Narrow mode, the user can use the Movie SR (Shake Reduction) function* to minimize camera shake during movie recording. It also provides 4K Full HD movie recording, which captures high-resolution, extended movie clips (3840 x 2160 pixels, 16:9 proportions) at a frame rate of 30 frames per second.*** Since it allows the user to record movie clips at a high bit rate of 100Mbps,**** it delivers low-compression, high-resolution movie clips to accommodate a wider range of movie-related user demands. In Full HD movie mode, it also provides a higher frame rate of 60 frames per second to capture the subject with more fluid motion. For playback of extended movie clips, such as one documenting a long bike tour, the camera features a range of convenient functions, such as: a Time-Lapse mode, which fast-forwards a movie clip at 30, 60 or 150 times of normal speed; an Endless Recoding mode,***** which automatically creates movie files at five-, 10- or 25-minute intervals; and a High-Speed Movie mode,****** which plays back a slow-motion image of a fast-moving subject. In addition, a micro-HDMI terminal (type D) is provided on the camera body for the simultaneous output of movie clips and sound to external audio-visual devices.
- The angle of view may vary depending on movie-recording settings including the selected image size. ** The angle of view becomes narrower when the Movie SR function is activated. *** The maximum length of a single movie clip is 25 minutes or 4GB. **** For this bit rate, the camera must be set in 4K and S-Fine shooting modes, and a micro SDXC memory card (UHS-1 Speed Class 3) must be used. ***** The maximum length of a single movie clip may vary depending on the selected image size. ****** The angle of view is fixed at Wide mode. Movie clips are recorded at HD 120fps, and played back at 30fps. The maximum length of a single movie clip is four minutes.
- Dependable, outdoor-oriented design Thanks to its airtight design, the WG-M2 assures outstanding waterproof performance to a depth of 20 meters and for up to two hours of continuous operation (equivalent to IPX8 or JIS Class 8) by simply mounting the included underwater lens protector on the body. It is also designed to be shock-resistant against a fall from a height of two meters,* dustproof (equivalent to IPX6 or JIS Class 6), and cold-resistant against temperatures as low as -10°C. All these features make the WG-M2 a truly dependable, heavy-duty action camera in harsh, demanding outdoor conditions. Since it doesn’t require a cumbersome housing to protect the body, the user can not only enjoy all types of outdoor shooting more freely and flexibly, but also record sounds more clearly without muffling.
- Measured under RICOH IMAGING-original testing standards (from a height of two meters, onto a surface of 5cm-thick plywood), conforming to Method 516.5-Shock of the MIL-Standard 810F.
New features to improve operability When the movie recording button is pressed at the beginning and finish of a movie recording session, the WG-M2’s vibration function signals the start and end of movie recording operation using vibrations of the camera body, to make the user fully aware of camera operations at all times. It also provides an LCD orientation function to record movie clips in an upright position even when the camera is held at vertical or upside-down position, and a host of user-friendly, in-body movie editing features such as a still image save mode and a divide movie mode (maximum image size of 4K) to ensure the high level of operability and flexibility demanded of an action camera.
Seven Image Effect modes to create original movie clips The WG-M2 features unique Image Effect modes* to apply desired visual effects to a movie clip for more creative, personalized work. Before a shooting session, the user can select the desired mode from Bright, Natural, Monochrome, Shading, Bleach Bypass, Bold, and High Contrast.
- Available Image Effect modes may vary depending on the selected movie recording mode.
Optimum white balance in underwater shooting The WG-M2 is designed to optimize the colour reproduction and contrast of recorded images, based on the data accumulated from numerous underwater image samples. When an underwater shooting mode is selected, the camera automatically switches to an underwater white balance mode to faithfully reproduce the crystal-clear atmosphere of underwater scenes, while effectively compensating for the loss of contrast caused by the diffusion of light. As the result, it captures clear, well-defined underwater images without bluish or greenish colour casts.
Wireless LAN connection to support remote operation using smartphones Simply by installing the Image Sync application in a smartphone or tablet computer, the user can effortlessly perform various camera functions from a distance: confirm the camera’s Live View image on the mobile device’s monitor, and use the mobile unit to check and change white-balance, ISO-sensitivity and exposure-compensation settings. It is even possible to view the WG-M2’s movie recordings in real time on the mobile device’s monitor, when the camera is set in the Full HD (1920 x 1080 pixels) or HD (1280 x 720 pixels) mode and at a frame rate of 30fps. The user can also transfer still images and movie clips recorded by the WG-M2 onto a smartphone or tablet computer to save, edit, play back* and upload them to social networking and other websites to share them with friends.
- An additional MOV-format application is required to play back recorded movie clips on an Android device.
- Other features. 1.5-inch LCD monitor for effortless angle-of-view confirmation during shooting. Ultra-wide-angle still-image recording at a maximum angle of view of 202 degrees. High-speed continuous shooting at a maximum speed of approximately eight frames per second. A wide ISO-sensitivity range from ISO 200 to ISO 6400 (in still-image shooting modes). ±2EV exposure compensation. A choice of a metering system between multi-segment and spot. Wind suppression mode. Compatible with micro SD, micro SDHC and micro SDXC memory cards.
O-CC163 Camera Case A WG-M2-dedicated camera case, attachable to a belt or backpack
O-CC1631 Protector Jacket A WG-M2-dedicated housing, for protection of the camera body from scratches and stains
About RICOH IMAGING EUROPE S.A.S.
RICOH IMAGING EUROPE S.A.S. is a leading supplier of recreational and professional imaging equipment, with a long standing brand heritage in both Pentax and Ricoh branded products. Its product range is extensive and includes state of the art digital SLR, medium format, interchangeable lens system (mirror less) cameras, expert, action and outdoor compact cameras and an extensive range of high performance lenses and accessories. In addition, it has a wide range of binoculars and spotting scopes, suitable for a variety of activities.
The company traces its roots to 1919, when as Asahi Optical Joint Stock Co., it was established in the Nishi-Sugamo district of Tokyo to manufacture lenses for eyeglasses. In 1938, the company expanded its portfolio of products and services to include lens design, photographic lenses and binoculars under the name of Ashai Optical CO. LTD., and eventually was renamed again as PENTAX in 2002. Six years later, the company integrated with optical glass manufacturer HOYA CORPORATION. On October 1st, 2011, the company became a 100% subsidiary of Ricoh Company, Ltd. and operates as Ricoh Imaging Company, Ltd. as of August 1, 2013.
For further information please click on our Product Information Links on our home page.
I hope you enjoyed reading this information & we welcome you to share it.